Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· News
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

THE ITIL BOOKS

The five ITIL books can be obtained directly from the publisher's website:
HERE

Or as downloadable PDFs: HERE

Current Membership

Latest: RileyMel
New Today: 15
New Yesterday: 59
Overall: 236316

People Online:
Visitors: 174
Members: 1
Total: 175 .

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Related Resources

Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

How to set up
IT Change Management
Process Info-Graphic

NOTE: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

Search

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Advertising
Please contact us via the feedback page to discuss advertising rates.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Argument on INcident and Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Argument on INcident and Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharonM123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Argument on INcident and Problem Reply with quote

Having big discussion on what is an incident and what is a problem. I have the standard definitions and am trying to make people understand the difference. Here is my challenge.

During the incident process where we are resolving service as quickly as possible, there is a communication that is send out for major incidents. This will outline what was done until the incident is resolved. In a lot of cases we have been able to identify the root cause and restore service.

The incident report which outlines the event, the timeline, and restoration to the incident is part of incident management.

Then there is a second report which contains the above as well root cause, impacts, multiple tickets associated to the event, and preventative actions to ensure this issue does not occur again - which is problem management.

Is there any experience out there that would identify I am incorrect or need some clarification.
UKIT
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are correct with your understanding.
Problem management deals with preventing incidents from occurring with Incident Management being in place to restore an IT service ASAP.

From experience when performing an audit of our Datacentre as Configuration Manager, spotting single points of failure being one of the tasks.
Servers fitted with a single power supply unit were deemed as having a “single point of failure”. Servers were upgraded with “dual” power supplies.
This being a problem management exercise to prevent an IT incident from occurring.
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: think about reality Reply with quote

Sorry to be late in answering...I don't spend as much time on this forum as I used to ...

As a former ITIL trainer, I found out that the difference between incident management and problem management is one of the most difficult concepts for IT guys to understand... as for most of them "you cannot resolve an incident if you do not know the cause".

So I got used to explain the concept with real life examples. Here is one of them:
I have to drive my son to school for 8.00am. Unfortunately my car does not want to start (nothing happens when I turn the key). This is an INCIDENT. My priority then is not to understand WHY the car does not work but HOW I can provide my son with the service he is expecting: being driven to school. I can alternately take my wife's car, or ask a neighbor to drive my son. Any of this SOLUTIONS will work and RESOLVE the incident, without even having started any investigation about the cause of the incident.
now I know my car has a PROBLEM (if I do nothing, I may face the same incident tomorrow) that needs to be investigated, either by me or an expert who will identify the CAUSE , propose a solution. The solution might need to be implemented by a CHANGE (example: dead battery to be replaced).
That allows also to introduce the concept of change management (with impact analysis: compatibility, schedule , cost, ...).

hope this can help.
rgds
JP[/u][/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: