Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Pm7knsrn2k
New Today: 23
New Yesterday: 56
Overall: 146001

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 1
Total: 55 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Prince2 vs ITIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prince2 vs ITIL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauline68
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Prince2 vs ITIL Reply with quote

Can anyone help me in figuring some dissimilarities between Prince2 & ITIL?
Bella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IT Infrastructure Library (or ‘ITIL’) is an IT-specific service management framework. ITIL pertains to IT service management

PRINCE2 (Projects IN Controlled Environments) is a process-based method for effective project management.
pauline68
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bella,

thanks, but I was wondering if you had some more in your mind!!!
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see

PRINCE2 is for Project Management and it is a set of Steps/ Processes etc that has to be followed

ITIL is a set of advice for how to do IT Service Management

Pauline

what are you wanting to know specifically

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Bella

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITIL does not sufficiently train Service Managers to bring projects to a satisfactory close, its focus being rather on the provision of long-term services

The method PRINCE2 is in the public domain, offering non-proprietorial best practice guidance on project management.
Bella

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITIL is an IT approach to maintenance and supporting certain situation PRINCE2 does not cover the support and development required of an IT Service Manager after the design and implementation of the initial product
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prince2 is not about service management (IT or any other kind); ITIL is not about project management.

Prince2 is specific step-by-step instruction for managing a project; ITIL is general guidance on good practise in the management of IT services.

What's to compare?

Any project in an IT environment should take cognizance of how the services are delivered in that environment and build whatever it is building to conform with that service regime (unless it is a project specifically to change the regime).
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bella

You could not be more wrong - first about ITIl and second about PRINCE2

Here are the definitions - fresh from wikipedia

ITIL
The Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL), is a set of practices for IT service management (ITSM) that focuses on aligning IT services with the needs of business. In its current form (known as ITILv3 and ITIL 2011 edition), ITIL is published in a series of five core publications, each of which covers an ITSM lifecycle stage. ITILv3 underpins ISO/IEC 20000 (previously BS15000), the International Service Management Standard for IT service management, although differences between the two frameworks do exist.

PRINCE2 is a process-driven project management method[6] which contrasts with reactive/adaptive methods such as Scrum.

PRINCE2 is based on seven principles (continued business justification, learn from experience, defined roles and responsibilities, manage by stages, manage by exception, focus on products and tailored to suit the project environment), seven themes (business case, organization, quality, plans, risk, change and progress) and seven processes. The principles and themes come into play in the seven processes:

IT Service Managers will benefit from ITIL because it talks about how to deal with the specific areas of IT Service Management

Project Managers - IT and otherwise - will benefit from PRINCE2 as it is Project mgmt oriented

A IT Project manager would benefit from both

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
pauline68
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really confusing from two different thoughts from you guys...

I saw this while researching:
ITIL requires something to guide it; that is, ITIL is the “what” not the “how”.
Whereas, Prince2 is applied on a IT project, after the project is finished and the result is used by the organization...

Is that right?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITIL is guidance. You cannot guide guidance.

Prince is just a way of doing a project. Any project.

ITIL/Prince - Apples/pears - different creatures - for different purposes.

There is no good reason to compare them at all.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
pauline68
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Diarmid...
That was a good way of differentiating these two....
So, what does one expect after getting ITIL certified...
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is almost 18 years since I became "ITIL certified". I expected, and got, nothing from the certification, except the confirmation that I had understood the course.

On the other hand, I expected, and got, a hell of a lot from the course.
William Penn 1644-1718
pghorvath

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pauline,

In answer to your question "what does ITIL Cert give you?"

I heard about ITIL through our customers. After doing some research, I became apparent that our organization lacked a COHESIVE strategy for ITSM. There are many cooks in the kitchen.

So I took the course and test and now have ITIL 2011 Foundations certification. Now my eyes are open to best practices. Of course, i could have read all the books, and figured it all out for myself over the next 5 years, but I wanted a higher ROI!

Many of the processes and functions my company is already doing... to some extent. On a direct level, i was executing some processes, such as Continuous Service Improvement, but my activities were specific to me and many people thought I was "overdoing it".

What the ITIL Cert "gives" me is the ability to open up discussions with other people and talk intelligently aout adjusting our ITSM policies and practices.

The best part is that we all have common sense. Often, listeners will appreciate the common sense, but do not adopt it in their activities. By referencing ITIL, a level of confidence is added to the suggested direction. As people are exposed to your presentations, they will have an easier time agreeing that the common sense should be propogated throughout the company.
pauline68
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pghorvath...

I heard that after being ITIL certified, I could be looking as a Service Manager Role...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: