Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· News
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

THE ITIL BOOKS

The five ITIL books can be obtained directly from the publisher's website:
HERE

Or as downloadable PDFs: HERE

Current Membership

Latest: Rickydaf
New Today: 11
New Yesterday: 74
Overall: 220650

People Online:
Visitors: 122
Members: 3
Total: 125 .

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Related Resources

Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

Search

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Advertising
Please contact us via the feedback page to discuss advertising rates.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Process focused Problem Management is not working.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Process focused Problem Management is not working.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProblemGuyAKLC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Process focused Problem Management is not working. Reply with quote

I've been working in a process focused problem management environment supporting 10,000 plus users for two years. My organisation does not use SLT's (SLA's) connected to KPI's. This means team leaders and managers providing a service don't put focus or urgency into reducing incident numbers. In turn they do not use problem management enough or follow through with investigating their problems. This is very frustrating. I have tried influencing behaviors and have had minimal success as support teams still don't perform trend analysis or identify problem candidates. In fact there is plenty of evidence of the problem process playing out in the incident process and the Incident process playing out in emails.
We have floated the idea of the problem management team becoming proactive in reducing incidents and doing this by using trend analysis to target high volume incident areas. Yes this means problem ownership sits with the problem management team.

Question: Can someone please tell me what pitfalls we could come across and provide suggestions on how to create a proactive problem management environment successfully?
A proactive problem management environment appears to be what the IS/ICT leaders want.

History: Currently I'm the sole problem coordinator in the organisation and manage the problem process and all activities related to it. Yes - it's hard to get traction when you are a lower life form. The process based approach has been in place for approx. 6 to 7 years and has had little buy in.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I see is a Incident Management related issue

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UKIT
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pitfalls could be getting something done when your find a potential problem that could result in an incident.
If your organisation doesn’t have SLA’s, presumably there is no rush to resolve incidents which is a tad strange to say the least.
Would be interested to see what KPI’s are in place.

From experience when performing the annual audit of our datacentre as part of my role at the time in Configuration Management to ensure CMDB accuracy, spotting single points of failure (SPOF) was part of the audit process.
SPOF being servers with a single power supply (Non redundant/ non hot pluggable) or a single network card for example.
When I presented my findings to senior IT management, they were keen to address such shortfalls as loss of service to the business could result in considerable financial loss.
Sounds like you should be taking your skills and dedication to another organisation who actually value what you are trying to achieve.
Presumably if it was the payroll server that was going down on a regular basis, those in your organisation who appear to show no interest in problem management would be the first to complain.
abriljoseph

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Problem Management Reply with quote

Hi all, Does SCSM involve 'Problem Management' ? I saw in SCSM console but I cant find related to 'Problem Management'. AWS Training in Bangalore | AWS Training in Chennai | AWS Training in Bangalore
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: