What makes one a good ITIL consultant?

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
noluddite
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:57 am

I've been contending with this question for quite some time now.

Is itil process knowledge in itself sufficient?

Does one need to have a thorough know-how of technical aspects as well? like manages storage, security, network etc. I aspire to be a good consultant, i have a decent theoretical knowlege. have assisted in implementing few itil processes.

request you all to share your views on the topic.

mnsmith
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:01 am

Hi

The answer to your question is experience, experience, experience (in that order).

You don't need to have specific knowledge of the technical aspects but having a sound background in implementing ITIL in numerous environments is a must. A good understanding of the theory will enable you to teach ITIL but will not let you consult that well.

Hope that helps

Mick
Mick Smith
Change, Configuration and Release Manager
noluddite
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:24 am

thanks smith. appreciate ur quick response. will try to get that 'experience' in varied environments. i was considering learning all those technical nitty gritties but turns out i was on the wrong track.

thanks again
Timo
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:32 pm

Personally, I think that it's the soft skills, such as ability to listen, to coordinate, to facilitate, to understand your audience, to elicit information etc is what makes a good consultant, ITIL or not. Also important ability to deliver on commitments and diligence. ITIL is not hard to know... it really is not a rocket science, so IMHO I'd put emphasis on the soft skills rather than technical knowledge (don't get me wrong, also important)
Olitil
Itiler
Itiler

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:51 pm

ITIL is a framework, not a discepline. Nothing beats experience. A good consultant has knowledge and experience. It's not about passing exams, it's about improving service management whatever the landscape.

All the best.
Olls
V3 ITIL Expert
V2 Service Manager (Red Badge) with Distinction
V2 Practitioner Service Desk and Incident Management
V3 Foundation
V2 Foundation

The truth is out there.....
AgentJay
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:09 am

I wish all org. gives the option to 'experience'. Hmmm
Olitil
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:28 pm

I'm with you Jay!
V3 ITIL Expert
V3 Foundation
V2 Foundation

DYbeach
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:17 am

There is a lot of politics in 'doing ITIL', and imho the ability to build relationships and influence people is really important.
Energy and persistence
At very thick forehead for bashing brick walls
Rat cunning to help you find weak points in said walls.
Creativity, to help you find your way around road blocks
A thick skin and the ability to say no
A sense of humour and perspective
A strong sense of ethics
Massive self belief

Happy new year to all, and may 2010 be excellent
DYbeach
ITIL V3 Release, Control & Validation,
ITIL V3 Operation SUpport & Analysis
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Olitil
Itiler
Itiler

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:13 pm

You are right man, bang on. ITIL is a cherry tree. It's all good. If only politics had a framework. Imagine for a moment.. 300 years time.

I am the president of the UK. We used to do wars and the petty suchlike, including trying to sort out territorial disputes with disparate political groups. To no avail but then globally we adopted "X"

Now we are all aligned and people of earth and we work and live to a global framework of love and understanding.

Now that is something to work towards. Everyone on the planet has to do an "X" foundation exam at the least!

Haha I'm an optomist.

IT is hard enough.

Had my fun. I'm out.
Olls.
V3 ITIL Expert
V3 Foundation
V2 Foundation

jpgilles
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:39 am

Hi there,

I am not sure I can describe what makes a good ITIL consultant, but I have some ideas about what can make a sadly bad ITIL consultant.

* knowing ITIL by the books, without having dealt with real IT operations
* considering that successful implementation in company X can be copied onto company Y with the same success
* not considering Human resistance to change
* ignoring that ITIL is not a solution or a package as such. Aiming at implementing ITIL or ITIL processes (in real life , you implement some ITIL practises and processes depending on the maturity of the organization you deal with. An you do it again and again, as maturity increases, in some areas, within the organization).

All the answers in the poste given were correct... Basically I would say: "listen to the problems , don't tell the solution"
JP Gilles