Do Project Managers need to be ITIL experts?

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
asrilrm
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Terry,
Don't bother. I guess my reply to you was confusing as I read it again.
Your last post did get what I meant :D

DYbeach
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:47 pm

ITIL V3 pays lip service to this topic, with a diagrammatic representation of Service Transition and its interfaces. It shows a faint line linking project change and configuration management to service change and configuration management, via RFCs from projects and formal handover of CIs.

The book then makes some motherhood statements that for projects, service transition and operations to ignore each others' activity is a short sighted approach and one that should be removed and that we should all love each other

Needs work. OGC, please take heed.
DYbeach
ITIL V3 Release, Control & Validation,
ITIL V3 Operation SUpport & Analysis
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
YorkshirePudding
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:13 am

DYbeach – Your comments are spot-on, however, it is not only ITIL that OGC should be concerned about, they should be thinking about the reciprocal links with Prince2 as well. A point touched upon by Liz Gallacher earlier in the thread.
Take a look at the articles and whitepapers on my website, they should provide you with some thought-provoking questions and challenges that could be raised when you take your Project Management training later in the year. They will also prove useful for anyone who is considering taking any ITIL Service Transition education, or anyone who is tasked with sorting out Service Transition within their organisation.
Service Transition still needs a lot more attention. Hopefully the whitepapers and articles will prompt more people to consider the issues and to post further threads on this subject. If we can raise the profile in the public domain we will have a better chance of the OGC taking note and addressing the shortcomings via their own CSIP…or should that be Refresh Cycle?. :D
Thank you all for your contributions.

Terry
Best Regards,
Terry