Example Service Transition Documents/Workflows

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
bjblackmore

Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:27 am

Hi,

I currently run the Service Desk within my organisation, and we keep getting new services thrown into Operations, for us to support, without any kind of service transition - our organisation is only just adopting ITIL, and most other people don't understand the need for service transition.

I've decided to write a generic service transition framework/policy document, that I can give to project managers, service owners, or others within our organisation, so they will start to think about service transition as part of any new/changed service. I'm trying to keep this framework simple & short, at under 15 pages, as anything too long just won't be read or used.

I've been downloading some example documents, and using the TSO key element guide for Service Transition, to start putting this framework together. But I was wondering if anyone had some example service transition documents, that I could compare against? I'm also looking for a service transition workflow that I can use in the document.

I understand such documents are different/custom for each organisation, but it would be useful to at least see some other examples, if anyone has some they could share?

Many thanks

Ben

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:53 pm

BJ Blackmore

1 - Do you have a Change Manager, a Release Manager, a Configuraiton Manager ?
If not, recommend that some one does that role
2 - The Service Transtion should be used as a guide

But... the more important guide is the operational pain the Service Desk goes through

Take that set of data and work it backwards.....

example

if the SD does not know what the SLA is on this service.... how and when is the SLA decided and who is involved

You will find that Design & transition come into play
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
bjblackmore

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:15 am

Hi UK Viking,

Thanks for the reply.

In answer to Q1, no, we don't have anyone currently doing change, release or configuation management. I've suggested we assign these roles, but currently there is no budget for new head count, and everyone else is already wearing 3 hats, and don't have the knoweldge or time to take on such roles.

I've taken on service transition as it's affecting my service desk team. Mainly around knoweldge, and supporting the systems.

For example, our network manager put a new SSID in place in Italy a few months back. Didn't tell service desk. When users couldn't connect to the old SSID they started to call service desk, who had no idea or documentation on how to handle those calls.

Same with operating systems. The infrastructure team start deploying Windows 10 surface tablets. When users have issues, service desk connect, but haven't had any Windows 10 exposure/training yet, because Windows 7 is corp standard.

As the person with most ITIL training (Foundation, Service Ops, CSI), I've putting together a training scedule for everyone else in IT, to get them to up to speed, but I'd like to get a framework out there in the meantime, so people start to think about how services will be support during the design phase, then how to hand those services over to Service Operations & Service Desk!
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:13 pm

do you have the key guides for all 5 books or even the 5 books.

Use the basics from that to form a ramework for the lifecycle from concept to retirement.

Remember, you are the piggee in the middle. in the process.

For example: a new customer is added

What pain did occur when surprise Monday morning you were told to support Acme Explosives and the SD gets an Irate W Coyote about some purchases

Did the support details come at all ?
Was it detailed ?
Do you know the level of support
Do the techs know what to do if there are certain quirks with the customer ?

These are your pain points

Once identified.. ask yourself - where in the lifecycle I have drawn up would this fit ?
How to go about getting it done.. in that area

RLR

That is the way I do this and I have been doing ITSM for 32 years - minus about 10 years working in bars and restaurants - doing SM instead
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter