Incident solved temp. change needed, problem??

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
tuefind

Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:01 am

Hi all

Big discussion here at my Work. I am located in the Servicedesk and, my managers are discussing Incident/problem management. I am corious, and would love to have some people with ITIL knowledge, to give theyre thoughts on this. I will try and make it quick:

Example:
We have an incident, a powersupply has an error. An incident is created, powersupply is swapped with a temporarily one, services are back. We still need to change to an original which requires us to shut of power and cause downtime. So we need a Change. But what about the incident?

Here they discuss 2 scenarios:
1. Close incident, open change and refer to closed incident. When supply is changed and up, close change and job done.
2. Close incident, open problem and change. When supply is changed and up, close both.
3.??
What is the correct way, if any?

Thank you in advance

best regards
Tue

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:09 am

First, there is no correct way. ITIL is a set of advice

The real answer is .. what ever is easier to manage

However, my take is as follows

1 - The incident is closed because you solved / restored service
2 - There could have been an E-cab/ retrospective change to swap out the bad power supply - depending on your change policy / process. . NOTE if there is not one, make one . If it is not clear, make it clear
3 - The change request - for the new power supply is due to the outage - which can be considered an independent change
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
tuefind

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:44 am

Sorry for the late reply.

Ok, thank you very much for giving your input. It is highly valued! :) and makes sence