My question is around Service Desk incident management SLAs and infrastructure incidents

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
jamesbowers

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:25 am

1 of 2 power units in a switch fails. Auto detected by monitoring, owned by Operations - otherwise invisible to the test of the IT team and business. Event-> Alert -> Incident. Low priority but still an incident. May need a week to get replacement power unit.

I want to be sure that Service Desk are not chasing these sort of incidents on their dashboards and can focus on incidents and requests that come in via Service Desk routes.

*It gets complicated when the same team (Operations) will own incidents that come in via SD escalation and also via monitoring/alerting. How can I make sure that SD is not chasing infra incidents?

Thanks!

tedderpd
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:48 am

Great question! This can be easily accommodated through the incident status tracking field on the incident record. What I typically see is that this field on the incident record is set to something like "hold-waiting on vendor" (or something similar). Depending on how the ITSM tool is configured, setting the status tracking field for the incident in this manner should pause alerting and any associated "noise" without losing track of the incident.

Hope this helps!
lcaputo
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:34 am

Hi,

what we did in a public organization was to let the Event module populate the Incident it generated with some fields populated with fixed values. For example it could have a True/False field named "Event generated" that is set to true when the incident is generated automatically, otherwise it is always on false. This way you can create different reports that filter the different nature of the incidents.

Hope it helps in your use case.