Asset Management - ITIL Documentation

Discussion forum dedicated to configuration management and ITIL
AndyW
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:37 am

Hi Experts,

my company wants to implement Asset Management to get full control over the hardware assets.
I looked into this on a very high level and figured out that this has various process interfaces e.g. License Management etc.

I would be curious if there is some best practice provided in the ITIL books. Especially I'm interessted in process interfaces and a global roll-out strategy.
Do you know where I can find this part in the ITIL books (v2 or v3). Maybe there are other sources available as well worth reading.

Thanks for your help

DYbeach
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Section 4.3 of the V3 Service Transition book addresses Service Asset and Configuration Management
Good practice, that is
DYbeach
ITIL V3 Release, Control & Validation,
ITIL V3 Operation SUpport & Analysis
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
AndyW
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:05 pm

thanks, I've checked it but the problem with the information there is that it is about assets related to services whereas I'm looking for asset management in relation to client computers like desktops and notebooks.
Also the information is very little there. Can anybody point me in a direction where I can find more information about client pc asset management.

thanks
ChasingSleep
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:21 pm

You're right. ITIL does talk superficially about Asset Management. In fact, ITIL kind of takes for granted that you have control over your assets BEFORE you even try to do ITSM.

Google for ITAM. You will be surprised for the amount of theory (and practice) you will find about IT Asset Management. As for a framework, look for IBPL: 12 volumes about IT Asset Management Best Practices.

Cheers!