Supply Chain Management-IT Software Management and CMS

Discussion forum dedicated to configuration management and ITIL
itsmer
Itiler
Itiler

Supply Chain Management-IT Software Management and CMS

Post by itsmer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:41 am

Hi folks,

I have run into a little conceptual and practical problem which need of your expert thoughts.

I am advising an IT company on the SACM process.

I have read the SACM process some 20 times.

I am failing to understand if IT asset management which includes

1. right from asset request
2. asset procurement
3. asset receiving
4. asset management
5. asset disposal/retirement
6. and asset planning

are part of SACM?
if not under which process of ITIL v3 does it fall?

I have searched the net and I found a interesting post by somebody from this forum which tells that "ITIL assumes you are already doing asset management before implementing ITSM"!
When I read about a service asset does it equal to a CI? Then why confuse people mentioning service asset and configuration management as a lot of people I spoke to also think Asset management is part of SACM.
If SACM and CMS are similar to the V2 of Configuration Management then it is very restricted to the concept of CMS being a key component to other processes.

Thank for your time
cheers

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Post by UKVIKING » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:27 am

Hmmmm.

So you are consulting for pay on a subject for which you have no clue

You want the members of the forum to give you guidance on ITIL, Configuration Management and Asset Management - in regards to how it fits into what ever you are consulting about

Fine. I will answer ....

TANSTAAFL

Pay one of us
or
Buy the ITIL Books

or both
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Post by Diarmid » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:37 am

I don't want to be seen to be gratuitously helping a consultant to provide advice on a subject that s/he has no knowledge or understanding of, but I cannot resist saying it is my view that, were ITIL to assume anything, it would be to assume you are doing all of IT service management if you are already running an IT service. I certainly assume that. As to how effectively it is being done and as to how conscious you are of all the things you are doing, that is another matter entirely.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Post by Diarmid » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:42 am

I'm beginning to really dislike these spammers.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718

Edward_Williams

Re: Supply Chain Management-IT Software Management and CMS

Post by Edward_Williams » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:39 am

itsmer wrote:Hi folks,

I have run into a little conceptual and practical problem which need of your expert thoughts.

I am advising an IT company on the SACM process.

I have read the SACM process some 20 times.

I am failing to understand if IT asset management which includes

1. right from asset request
2. asset procurement
3. asset receiving
4. asset management
5. asset disposal/retirement
6. and asset planning

are part of SACM?
if not under which process of ITIL v3 does it fall?

I have searched the net and I found a interesting post by somebody from this forum which tells that "ITIL assumes you are already doing asset management before implementing ITSM"!
When I read about a service asset does it equal to a CI? Then why confuse people mentioning service asset and configuration management as a lot of people I spoke to also think Asset management is part of SACM.
If SACM and CMS are similar to the V2 of Configuration Management then it is very restricted to the concept of CMS being a key component to other processes.

Thank for your time
cheers
That looks about right. Number 6 should be number 2 though.