Emergency Changes

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues
mtbchangelady
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:08 am

What perecentage of your total changes are emergencies? (emergency = changes that must be implemented to fix or prevent a high severity issue)

Gordupnorth

Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Our target is </= 5%.

2014 ended up being 8%, 2015 YTD is 5%.

Gordon
svinjam

Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:56 pm

I read it / heard during conferences some where that the average / standard is around 7 to 8%. I personally do not agree with that.

here's my 2 cents:

In order to decide that - review your SLAs and availability agreements. Look at some historic data from incidents and failed changes, that will give you a idea of how well people and technology has performed in the past and also look at the appetite from your senior execs for emergency changes.

Hope that helps!

- Sandeep.
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:32 pm

I don't believe percentages of such things should be used as overall targets (except perhaps 0% - which is the ideal). And certainly it is meaningless to use other organization's levels and especially "industry levels" or "norms".

Given that you cannot actually eliminate emergencies, their frequency depends on many factors including the innate volatility of your system, the complexity of your system, your business attitude to risk, your "need" or otherwise to use cutting edge technology. Add to that, if you express it as a percentage you are also factoring in the frequency of non-emergency changes (if, say, you have an emergency change on average every three months, it makes a huge difference if you make ten or a hundred other changes during that period - and that is before you have to factor in any cyclical or other variations to the pattern).

I could almost write a book on the problems with this approach.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718