Change success question

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues
smurphy

Thu May 05, 2016 3:49 pm

I would like to get some feedback on the whether you would call this a success or unsuccessful classification.

A change in the network was performed and the steps and new functionality was implemented fine. That all works okay.

However, there was an abnormal result that occurred immediately following the change that caused degradation.

I am being challenged on whether this is a failure to the change or an incident.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri May 06, 2016 2:54 am

You need to split hairs

1 - If the change as designed was implemented successfully, then it was a successful change
2 - The degradation to the network service is a fault.

If the analysis of the gfault and the restoration process of whyit degraded points to the change, then this is a architectural question and of course why the change got approved as the risk and impact identified was flawed
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
JScratch
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:15 pm

In my company this would be a scored as a failure (Introduced Bug/Incident). It was proven to have an unanticipated negative impact.

Black and White to me for this example. But I'm fairly strict on things in my company. This is not to prove people are bad (far from it), its for learning purposes. My company often goes back to change records to find out how something was performed, knowing about this incident that was caused might help prevent the same from happening in the future.

Hope this helps :)