Change Manager 'On Call' 24/7

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues
Zeth2000

Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:25 am

Hi All,

Just wondering how many Change Managers out there are required to be 'on call' 24/7. In my current role we are on a rotating roster between 3 Change Mgrs to ensure Change Management availability around the clock. I have worked in Change Mgt for the past 16 years and this is the first time I have come across this. My personal view is that this against everything that Change Mgt is supposed to be, planned, controlled etc...hence there should be no need for 24/7 coverage.

Would really appreciate your feedback / views, and very keen to find out if there are actually others out there that have come across this requirement.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:13 pm

I concur.
It sounds stupid

There is such a thing as Emergency Chabnge Requests

This means that the Operations Manager on Duty does the approving or some one at that level

In addition, are these 24/7 rota change managers - change analysts or change manager. Who is the Change Manger. Who makes policy etc

Is the CM Scope global - then that may make sense
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Zeth2000

Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Thanks for the response.....we are not Global (however we do have offshore support team, but most do these days) .... We currently report into Operations, hence I think this is where the problem starts as our reporting structure treats our team/Process like and 'Operational support' team.

I am guessing as there are not many responses there are no other Change Analysts/Coords/Mgrs 'On Call' which I guess reinforces my opinion that this requirement is sentimentally wrong :)

Please continue to respond if anyone has encountered this during their time in Change Mgt
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:59 am

Do you belong to LinkedIn ?
If so, ask the question in the The ITIL Group

I manage it and it is quite active - as opposed to this site
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Zeth2000

Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:57 am

Thanks UKVIKING...I have just sent a request to join the group
JScratch
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:11 pm

This has become slightly common place for my company as well. When I started 5 years ago it was not the case and has only recently (maybe last 1.5 years) starting happening from time to time with gradual increasing frequency.

I am the ONLY Change Mgr here and I'm not entirely sure if I brought this upon myself or not. To be honest I want to provide great service but in doing so I think it has come back to "give them an inch and they will take a mile" approach. Meaning I gave them a bit of leeway for very specific instances (Emergencies) and now sometimes everything becomes an emergency even though its not really all that urgent and they're calling it an emergency because they don't "feel" like waiting until the next day.

does this help?