Confused

Forum for job seekers and employers in the ITIL arena.
Aysha

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:30 am

i have been asked by my manager to decide whether i go with ITIL certification or system administrator, i have experience of 7 years on as support engineer and i took the ITIL V3 foundation course, but i am still confused whether to continue my current job in support and go to the next level as system administrator or go to ITIL. i am currently working also on the IT service portfolio also.

please advice..

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:32 pm

You don't tell us anything about what you like or what you are good at, but anyway a systems administrator ought to know about much of service management.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
sshoun

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:43 am

System administration is your skill. hence its an imp asset. ITIL is best practices for the IT industry which you are a part of. hence according to me Being a system administrator, ITIL certification will be counted as huge plus, for the simple reason you that exist in IT service management Inndustry.
KenLuo
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:04 am

If you want to be a technical guy, learn system admin.

If you want to work on process, transformation and may be act as a team lead, learn ITIL.
Luo, Tian-Hong (Ken)
Regional Operation Lead

ITIL Expert Certified
KEPL

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:09 am

Hi Aysha,

System Administration is your role at work and that is your specialization and skill set, ITIL training is required for you to understand the concepts of IT service management, irrespective of your role and organiztion, if you work in IT you should know about IT service management and ITIL is all about IT service management.

Regards
Venkat Madireddy