What training next???

Discussions related to ITIL certification, training and exams.
swal87
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:01 am

Good Morning all,

Having completed my ITIL V2 managers and migrated across to V3 with the Bridge course I am at a loss of what training do do next. Having spent years trying to get funding for my training I am in a strange position of reaching the end of the line in ITIL.

I know I could undertake the V3 specific exams for a greater in depth specific knowledge , however I feel I have the skills to find this out buy self study if needed. The Masters certificate in my opinion will add little value to my knowledge and is just a badge collecting exercise.

My question to you is what course do you think I should undertake to compliment ITIL.

I am thinking ISO 27000 Auditors or PRINCE, but would be open to suggestions.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 am

Swal87

I a m bit behind of you

I did my V2 SM course.

I dont have the v3 certifications

I did the ISO 20k via the itSMF UK course

I am looking at the ITIL V3 master qual just put out by the British Computer Society (BCS) page

Which means v3 foundation, Service Strategy, MALC and then the Master

I also see some other good ones on the BCS
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:20 am

From my experience (although it may have improved) the only two reasons for taking the Prince certificate are a) badge collecting or b) your (prospective) employer requires you to have the bit of paper.

I learnt less about project management with Prince in the course than I could by having simply read the book for the same length of time. I learnt a lot about passing the exam.

You could also look at ISO20000 and ISO9000 auditing. And CobIT of course.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
swal87
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks guys.

I think im on the right track, but wondered about other options that might align.

Think the ISO stuff will probably be the way forward. Anything to get away from the corporate courses "managing behaviour, Time management etc......." you've been there and know what I mean!!!!
LizGallacher
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Have a look at the EXIN courses ITSM program according to ISO/IEC 20000 - there is a whole series of courses, which are not just about achieving ISO20K certification, but about using the standard when implementing ITSM. Your ITIL qualifications earn you v=credits in the scheme.
Liz Gallacher,
ITIL EXPERT
Accredited ITIL and ISO/IEC20000 Trainer and Consultant - Freelance