Estimation of costs/ savings by implementing/ not implementing ITIL processes

Discusssions, questions and answers relating to the open project: The ITIL Guide
batgirlUB8
Itiler
Itiler

Estimation of costs/ savings by implementing/ not implementing ITIL processes

Post by batgirlUB8 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:08 am

I'm currently running a feasibility study as part of a quality management exercise to justify having formal processes in place for Incident management, Problem management, configuration management, etc.. Has anybody got estimated costs, risks and benefits to their organisation as the result of implementing or not implementing these ITIL processes?

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Re: Estimation of costs/ savings by implementing/ not implementing ITIL processes

Post by UKVIKING » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:56 am

Have you ever read any of the ITIL books or taken an ITIL Foundation course.

The costs and benefits of implementing a Best Practice is very well documented

As to specific costs, each company's information is not relevant to every other company.

ITIL ADMIN: Can you move this to the General ITIL Discussion group
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter

batgirlUB8
Itiler
Itiler

Re: Estimation of costs/ savings by implementing/ not implementing ITIL processes

Post by batgirlUB8 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:10 am

Hi, thank you for your feedback. I am very well versed with the concepts and best practices of ITIL. I was interested in the arguments used to justify the cost of implementing them to ensure robust and firmer controls of the ITSM practices within the organisation.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Post by UKVIKING » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:41 am

OK
Here is my two cents worth.
Companies already have IT Service Management processes in place - regardless of whether the company staff can spell ITIL or not.

They may have even implemented the IT SM processes and therefore have very good effective and efficient workage of the processes.

So, using the ITIL best standards to be applied to their current processes may results in improvements to their processes.

So it will be difficult not impossible to conduct a cost analysis. However, what would actually would be needed to do is

a) for each IT SM process in place, work out the current operating cost for doing the IT SM process in place

this will give you a base line and then use ITIL Best or better practices to make changes to the existing processes.

Once implemented, you can then do the financial analysis again
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter