Where do you store your knowledgebase???

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
sTaD
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:36 am

I've worked at many corporate companys and came across different ways, from sharepoint to a standard lotus notes database (this being the better one as it's searchable).

Anyone recommend what they think is the best tool, more so for searching?

swal87
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:47 am

sTaD wrote:I've worked at many corporate companys and came across different ways, from sharepoint to a standard lotus notes database (this being the better one as it's searchable).

Anyone recommend what they think is the best tool, more so for searching?

I have used previous systems that store KBA's in a file server anywhere on the network, however the service tool allows searching of the files for self service or for agent incident workarounds.
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:53 am

I'm sure there is no such thing as the "best tool". As different tools are best for different requirements and circumstances.

Also most people will have only superficial knowledge of most tools and will therefore be unable to assert whether they are better or worse than the few tools they have detailed experience with. The most they would be able to honestly say is that a particular tool worked well or badly for them in a particular environment.

I do not believe it is worth having a comparative discussion of tools unless you start out by baselining the criteria and define a framework within which they are used.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
swal87
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:53 am

Following on from the above.

I find that it is not a problem of where to store the KBA's (these can be on any networked drive) only the method and ease of finding related information in a seamless fashion without having to use 2 separate systems.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 pm

In addition, this is an ITIL Forum.. .not a tool forum
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter