Change or Incident

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
Adilsonbn
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:28 am

Hi,

A request to install a program on the desktop should open a change request or can be considered only a request?

What do you think?

vz-r_Dave
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:33 pm

I believe pre-approved change depending on whether the application has been approved by the business.

Request fulfilment - open a standard or non standard task (request) depending on the application?
smehdi
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:06 am

I believe installation of a program would fall under the category of a standard change(Pre-approved).

However if the program does not fall under standard change and you are not aware of the risk linked to it ,Ideally it should go through Change order , which you are refrring as change request.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:41 am

The answer to the question is as follows

What does your Change management policy state about applications being loaded on the desktop ?

The policy should define what types of changes and examples

the other issues about installation of files on desktop are as follows

policy rights to the machines - user restricted access or what
is application authorized and supported by IT
is it licensed software - seat or blanket license

Now for some detail

A user asking - hey i would like MS Project 2003 installed to my machines
- is a Service Request

The service request will spawn a specific set of actions ./ tasks

If MS project is a limited license s/w - ie only 50 seats / installations, then the actions / task would include some one like that person's manager who would confirm / verify that the individual needs the s/w

this may or may not spawn a change request - depending on what the corp IT change policy is - or the work may merely be a set of tasks to install the work as this is a) a standard change (ITIL) or b) out of scope for Chaneg management

The prime condition is

WHAT THE POLICY DOCUMENT SAYS
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter