Best monitoring/alerting tool?

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
Abilectic

Best monitoring/alerting tool?

Post by Abilectic » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:28 am

So I was just hired as a help desk manager a few weeks ago and the environment I walked into is a lot different from the one I left. My new help desk techs have responsibility for monitoring a number of services and web interfaces for a medium size hospital. This they do by keeping a number of computers with dual monitors logged into various servers and web interfaces, for other servers there is a policy to login and check the services once per shift, still other servers have a reporting interface.

What I am looking for is a commercial dashboard/monitoring tool that can monitor all these things on one interface and send alerts when thresholds are exceeded. My plan for redesigning the physical space of the help desk includes adding large screen monitors to the walls take monitoring off the desktop.

A key requirement is the ability to monitor a running service in services.msc and restart that service if it stops. I would also like the ability to allow certain departments to monitor just the applications that affect their department.

I know Nagios can do most if not all of these things, in a previous job we had a pretty tech savvy programmer who worked some miracles with it. But without solid Linux expertise on staff at my new job, I doubt we will be successful implementing it.

I've done a little research and come up with some products, (Spiceworks, Zenoss, Kasera) I would love to hear from other IT organizations that have this type of setup and are please with it.

Thanks,

CJ

SanjeevMayekar

Post by SanjeevMayekar » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:25 am

Hi,
We use Wily for monitoring of web services and java applications.
What we have done is that we created a high level dashboard that provide high level color code status of the applications as a whole. These statuses can be drilled down to inspect what is happening. This also helps for management to have high level status of applications. In addition to this that alerts are configured which sent an high importance email/alert if thresholds are breached.
We have the same configuration done with metawatch for monitoring the hardware.