Would it be a Problem or Known Error Record.

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
fulhamn
Itiler
Itiler

Would it be a Problem or Known Error Record.

Post by fulhamn » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 am

ITIL defines a Known Error as: “A Known Error is a problem that has a documented root cause and a Workaround.”

If you have the Root casue but DO NOT have a workaorund. Would it be a Problem Reocrd or Known Error Record.

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Post by Diarmid » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:20 pm

It's not either/or. A known error is a link to a problem. The problem exists until it is resolved.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718

Nosheen
Itiler
Itiler

Post by Nosheen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:04 am

Known Errors are documented in KEDB i.e Known Error Date Base and if it is a known Error then most of the times a solution is also there. If no work around for the error was found then it is not an error it is a problem, no matter if you the know the error or not. Error needs rectification while as problems need solution.

Going deep into terms like knowledge management and problem management in ITIL will surely help.
I hope my answer was help.
Any feedback is always welcomed

Thanks.... :)

Nosheen

incrediblejay

Post by incrediblejay » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02 pm

As mentioned above, it is neither.

The Root Cause is just something to note in the problem ticket until you have a workaround, at which point it becomes a Known Error.

Sammy024

Post by Sammy024 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:07 pm

A known error is a problem for which you have a root cause and have a workaround Or a permenant fix. Generally there should be a Workaround as it is the one that is used by the Service desk to resolve issues. There may be few cases where you know the root cause . workaround and the permenant fix is not there and in that case there should be a Problem case logged. To sum up - YES if you know the root cause but the Workaround and fix is not known then you can log a Problem case for it. I have seen cases where people log problems for the root cause and fix known :) ... Remember that ITIL is just a framework :)