Problem Management Template

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
praven0078

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi Fellow Problem Managers

I have been away from this PM space for a long time now and I was looking to valuable inputs from this forum group.

What's the best approach & effective way to reduce Problem tickets? Hoping to get any insights from hard-core Problem Managers who could share their experience and techniques to assist me in initiating this proactive / reactive problem ticket reduction??

Appreciate if anyone could share me a PM template or document to kick start this predicament?

Cheers

Praveen

Macka21

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:50 am

Hi Praveen,

It's been a while since you posted but I'll answer for the benefit of anyone else who wants to know.

The "best" way to reduce Problem tickets is to find the root cause of all the Problem tickets you have in your organisation, identify solutions, implement those solutions and fix the Problems. Sorry if that sounds a bit glib but you gotta fix stuff.

Now then, that said (and I'm reading between the lines) you may have what I had when I took over my organisations' Problem function, i.e. lots and lots of open Problem tickets. (There were 2500 at one point). You need to reduce this quickly if you have a lot and no prospect of processing them all. Unless you have a team of Problem Managers to work on them, I would take a pragmatic approach and have whoever holds the Problem logs review them, and close anything that if worked, don't add much value. Have your resources working on what's hurting your organisation, usually those that cause the most calls to your service desk (you'll need some proactive investigation going on here), or your highest Priority tickets that have big impacts on your services.
It's hard to say what's an acceptable number of Problems to have open in your organisation as I don't know the scale of your outfit.

Happy to discuss further here.

Cheers,

Paul.
Corde Wagner
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:28 am

Good suggestion Paul.

Having inherited a large problem ticket backlog in the past, I agree with Paul's suggestion to close old problem tickets that won't ever be looked at. The one thing I would add is to perform an export of all problem tickets (into Excel) and work to identify any trends that may lend themselves to adding "known errors" for future reference. It's not a super sophisticated approach, but it works and it also will help the new problem manager become familiar with past problem ticket activity and areas for process improvement.

Cheers,

Corde
Corde Wagner
ITIL v3 Expert - ITILv4 - CASM - VeriSM-Plus