Recalculating SLAs

Forum to discuss ITIL issues and disciplines covering Service Delivery.
Virginia

Recalculating SLAs

Post by Virginia » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 am

Times below are for demo purposes!

I have an SLA for a Priority 2 that’s one hour. I have another SLA for a Priority 1 that’s 15 minutes.

A ticket is submitted at a level of Priority 2.
Open Time: 5:00pm
Due Date: 6:00pm

30 minutes goes by.

Someone decides, no…this really should have been a Priority 1, and changes the record.

The question is should the SLA for the Priority 1 (that’s 15 minutes) be calculated based on the true Open Time of the ticket (5:00PM) or at the time the priority is changed (6:30PM)?

Obviously if you recalculate based on the true Open time of the record (5:00PM) by the time you change the priority you’ve busted your SLA; so I’m thinking it should be based on when the Priority was changed to a P1.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your time!
V

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Post by UKVIKING » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:55 am

You should have a process/ policy in regards to the SLA for incident where the priority has changed - up or down

In addition, you should have definitions as to when to move or down and to accept the consequences of the change

Now.. having said that

Who made the change ?
Is it some one who has the authorization to ?
Was this documented in the incident as to why ?

Finally, as SLAs are calculated over time - monthly, the individual ones which go over the stated SLA for that classification will more than likely get absorbed
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter

MadhavaVermaDantuluri
Itiler
Itiler

Post by MadhavaVermaDantuluri » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:36 pm

It's always a tricky situation i face whenever a P2 moves to P1. So i had implemented a process as below in my organization.
- The original ticket with P2 will be remained as it is in the ticketing tool.
- Once incident manager (Person who is responsible to confirm on P1) approves to P1, create a new incident for P1 and send to larger audience.
- Because P1 incident will have to reach higher executives and with separate template.
Once the P1 incident is resolved, tag this number in P2 incident and close it.