MALC???

ITIL Experts share updates and answer questions
Jeff22
Itiler
Itiler

Fri May 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Is MALC worth taking now that ITIL 4 is out?

tedderpd
Itiler
Itiler

Mon May 20, 2019 9:49 am

Great question! For the first time ever, there are two versions of ITIL (ITILv3 and ITIL 4) that are available for training/certification, so l can understand why you’d like to know if it’s worth taking MALC.

The answer, of course, is “it depends”. :)

The ITIL 4 curriculum is not yet released, and candidly, while I like what ITIL 4 Foundation discusses, my gut tells me that ITIL 4 Foundation is just the tip of the iceberg with respect to the what the full ITIL 4 body of knowledge will be discussing. So if you really want to test your knowledge regarding the application of ITIL concepts across the lifecycle of a service, MALC is the current best way to do that.

Two key topics that MALC covers that I think are key to success in using ITIL to support ITSM are:
- Understanding the benefits, challenges, and risks of each phase of the lifecycle and managing cross-lifecycle processes
- Things that should be considered when managing and improving services and the service management practices

While ITIL 4 is moving away the lifecycle concept, I still think understanding these concepts will serve service managers well.

Other things to consider:
- cost
- time investment
- migration to the ITIL 4 qualification scheme (essentially, the MALC credits “don’t count” toward the ITIL 4 MP qualification.

Hope this helps!
Jeff22
Itiler
Itiler

Tue May 21, 2019 5:47 pm

tedderpd wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:49 am
Great question! For the first time ever, there are two versions of ITIL (ITILv3 and ITIL 4) that are available for training/certification, so l can understand why you’d like to know if it’s worth taking MALC.

The answer, of course, is “it depends”. :)

The ITIL 4 curriculum is not yet released, and candidly, while I like what ITIL 4 Foundation discusses, my gut tells me that ITIL 4 Foundation is just the tip of the iceberg with respect to the what the full ITIL 4 body of knowledge will be discussing. So if you really want to test your knowledge regarding the application of ITIL concepts across the lifecycle of a service, MALC is the current best way to do that.

Two key topics that MALC covers that I think are key to success in using ITIL to support ITSM are:
- Understanding the benefits, challenges, and risks of each phase of the lifecycle and managing cross-lifecycle processes
- Things that should be considered when managing and improving services and the service management practices

While ITIL 4 is moving away the lifecycle concept, I still think understanding these concepts will serve service managers well.

Other things to consider:
- cost
- time investment
- migration to the ITIL 4 qualification scheme (essentially, the MALC credits “don’t count” toward the ITIL 4 MP qualification.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the detailed response! Sounds like MALC is still valuable and offers some insights to ITIL that will help in the migration to V4.
lcaputo
Itiler
Itiler

Thu May 30, 2019 6:40 am

I have to agree with tedderpd.
I got both ITIL v3 and 4 Foundation certificates and I have to admit that the v3 has been really useful with engaging with customers who are still following a more traditional approach (no agile/devops in sight).
Perhaps there is not a correct thing to do as of now :roll: