Is Applications Management Function best fit for IT SDLC?

Discuss topics on the fringe of ITIL, including relationships with other approaches.
Corde Wagner
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:14 pm

ITIL v3-2011 Service Operation offers a relatively small amount of guidance/information for how to position the many activities performed by IT applications development and support teams. Looking at service provision/service delivery contracts that I have worked with, they will include the usual Change, Release, QA (SVT), configuration, incident and request processes. Service Desk is always included and often a NOC, but I've not seen a contract where the SDLC aspect of IT enterprise applications (Oracle MRP, SAP, Salesforce, etc.) is well formed.

Given that the Service Strategy and Service Design stages (and books) are more about new services, can anyone suggest where I should look to find a 'framework' that aligns with ITIL that describes the activities the IT enterprise applications group will perform and/or be responsible for?

Thanks in advance!

Corde Wagner
ITIL v3 Expert - ITILv4 - CASM - VeriSM-Plus
tedderpd
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:08 am

Corde - This is a great question - and I'm afraid that I don't have a good answer for you.

In my experience, this is always under the "art" category of the art and science of ITSM. While many organizations do take advantage of enterprise applications like an Oracle MRP or SAP, the vast majority of the time there is configuration or customization of those solutions to meet the specific needs of that organization (even though it is usually sold as an "out of the box solution").

To your point, I would agree that there should be agreement / alignment between the "development" and "support" aspects of application management. But I'm stumped as to a framework or methodology that provides any guidance for that, much less how ITIL would align to such an approach.