Service Catalog - Applications...

Forum to discuss ITIL issues and disciplines covering Service Delivery.
johnjohnson

Service Catalog - Applications...

Post by johnjohnson » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:58 pm

There many example of a Service Catalog containing Business Services representing things such as HR Systems, shared online applications, etc. Although if the organization has hundreds of different software Applications that various different people in the organization can request, how should this it into the service catalog and CMDB? Should each application be associated to a Business Service which would be provided through the Business Service catalog? Or should there just be a Provisioning Request Service that allows a user to choose an Application, and not treat EACH Application as a Business Service?

Thanks in advance!

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Post by Diarmid » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:12 am

John,

there can be only one answer to this question and that is that it entirely depends on what is right for you.

Service catalogue is something understood in many different ways in the "ITIL world" and I have yet to see a convincing explanation that was not firmly bedded in that particular organization's way of working.

To reach a conclusion for your question you first have to reflect on the following:

-why do you have a service catalogue?
-what is it to be used for?
-who is to use it?
-what functions are to use it?
-is it largely customer facing or largely service management facing or both?
-how is it to be maintained?
-what are the costs?
-what are the benefits?

What I can say is that if you want users to be able to pick off an application then you will need a strong system for knowing what each user is authorised to access because users can only be allowed access to services approved by their management, and "paid for" or "owned" by their management.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718

IF4IT
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Post by IF4IT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi John,

I think Diarmid has good advice. I would also add that you and your enterprise should never look at your Service Catalog (SC) as being done. You may want to think of enhancing it in "Releases" or "Versions", where you add new features that meet the needs of your enterprise, over time. So, for example...

- SC 1.0 might just list the Service Areas (Applications, Databases, Desktops, Storage, etc.) and what organizations can help you with new ones or support existing ones.
- SC 2.0 might have complete breakdowns of all instances for each of the above areas, with specific organizations who can help you modify each or get support for each. For example, the general "Applications" area might have a breakdown of each and every Application with Owners and Support Teams, etc. And, the "Databases" area might have a complete breakdown of all Databases with Owners and Support Teams.
- SC 3.0 might correlate each instance of each type to specific Functions or Capabilities (Business Only, Shared, IT Only)
- SC 4.0 might integration with a shopping cart that allows people/organizations to procure Services, with automated workflow for fulfillment, behind the scenes.
- Etc.

As Diarmid stated, in the end, it's really a matter of what makes most sense to you and your enterprise, within the constraints of your budgets, resources, and timeframes.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

My Best
The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)