[b]Document of agreement and procedure (DAP)[/b]

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Bunti

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:18 am

I have been asked to write a DAP (Document of agreement and procedures) document for a service contract. I tried searching the examples/framework of this document on internet but couldn't find it. Does someone knows am ITIL term that I should use to search the related templates?

mnsmith
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:38 am

Bunti

It sounds like you are wanting a Service Level Agreement (SLA) and/or an Under Pinning Contract (UPC). You might find some good templates on the internet but remeber to use them for guidance only - it's your service so make sure you are agreeing procedures you want, not what someone else in the world wants.

Hope that helps

Mick
Mick Smith
Change, Configuration and Release Manager
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:13 pm

Bunti,

I'm in the dark on this one. I'm not clear whether you fully understand what a DAP is - or even whether the person who asked you to write it fully understands what they are asking for ("I was at a seminar last week and everyone was talking about DAPs; I think we should have one" kind of syndrome). I'm going to assume that you don't and they don't. Nevertheless you will understand it a lot better than I do, because I have never heard of it. Even if it is a quite well known term, I wonder if it has a clear, concise and universal meaning or is simply used generically.

However, let me assume for a minute that Mick is correct and it is some kind of SLA/OLA/UC (totally pedantic aside: there is no need to separate pin from under). That seems reasonable.

Now, to be asked to write such a document is not very good in any circumstance. What really needs to be done is to come to an agreement, with the relevant parties, over a specified scope and then to document that agreement formally. If you do it that way round, you cannot help but focus on what is appropriate and the document practically writes itself. The important, and possibly difficult, part is understanding what needs to be agreed and it is for this reason that referring to a template from a not well understood source (i.e. another organization that you do not know intimately) is at least as likely to misdirect you as to help.

Perhaps my assumptions are wrong and you have done all the discussing and agreeing and all you want is to ice the cake with some well structured format to your agreement. In this case Mick's advice is probably all you need, except to add that you might want to study the formal documents already existing within your organization and conform to "house style" rather than import an unfamiliar style from elsewhere.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Timo
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:55 pm

Could it something like a letter of understanding while the actual contract is still being worked on? Yet, it allows the work to begin without a contract in place. Not the best practice, if you ask me, but can work well in an established relationship.

I could be completely off base on this one though.
Anticlue
Itiler
Itiler

Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:22 am

Hi,

I agree that it sounds like this is for a contract, from the ITIL side check out Operational Level Agreements.

Hope this helps,
Elyse
Collaboration is the key to success!
Bunti

Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:15 am

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses!

Now, I understand bit more about the DAP, this term is used quite often in Dutch ITIL based service industry. DAP goes along with the SLA document. We already have SLA in place. DAP should include the operational procedures as decribed in ITIL, for example it should include chapters on each area of service management (Incident mgmt, Problem mgmt etc)..

I think it sounds like an Operion level agreements in ITIL terminology....

Does someone has a good template on OLA ??

Thanks,