ITIL and SLAs

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
gautambangalore
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:46 am

Does ITIL specify any of the SLAs say a P1 ticket's response time should be <15 mins and Resolution has to be <4 hours and anything else similar to this as a benchmark?

If yes, is this listed anywhere one could read through.

thechosenone69
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:10 am

Guata,

Itil is a best practice, its not a standard. It should be tailored upon your requirements. So as the SLA. The Service Level Manager AKA client Manager AKA.... should sit down with the client take their requirements and then check if those targets are achievable by IT. "Negotiate and agree"

For Example: My SLA say that a p1 ticket response time is <15minutes where as Diarmid's SLA says that a p1 < 24hours, either because his short on staff and doesnt have the resource capacity to respond within 15minutes or the customer requirements is like that.

What im trying to say Guata, ITIL doesnt tell you what the response time for an SLA, it should be tailored to your company.
Ali Makahleh
Configuration Management(Blue Badge),
ITILV2 Service Manager(Red Badge),
ITILV3 Expert(Lilac Badge) Certified.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:58 am

Well mine would actually say you can't have a resolution time on a single incident, but I'll give you a rolling average.

And it definitely will not be less for a high priority incident than a low priority incident because I have no evidence that high priority incidents are easier and quicker to resolve than any others. I will say that high priority incidents will get treated before low priority incidents.

If you insist on resolution time for individual incidents, then I will say that your SLA is only breached if more than four exceed that time in a month. Otherwise the resolution time agreed will be so long that it will not be applying pressure to my staff for most incidents.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 am

.... sorry still thinking.

I will certainly consider having different agreements for different systems or even for different kinds of incidents if that looks practical.

ITIL does not actually insist that incident resolution times be included in an SLA. In fact it does not insist on anything.

In some circumstances you can have a perfectly adequate agreement that focuses on availability and frequency of service interruptions and lets you get on with treating each incident on its merit, putting commensurate resource into its resolution and concentrating on getting service back as soon as is practicable.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718