ISO 20000 Planned Update

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
SwissTony
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:41 am

Hello all.....

Do we have anyone here involved with the ISO 20000 standard?

There is a pending update to the part 1, which is proposed for next year.

My organisation is currently certified, and is in the 3rd year of certification, so next year will be a full recertification. I'm trying to find any information about the potential changes, as I'm unsure if this is in place next year, if the recertification will be against the new standard.

Anyone any ideas on this?

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:20 am

Tony,

I've read something somewhere (probably on a LinkedIn group). If I find it again I'll let you know. It was by someone involved in the changes. There might be some info on the ISO site.

Can't remember the specifics, but you have little to worry about firstly because there is nothing too radical going on and secondly because there is always a period (I think two years, possibly more)) before any changes to these kind of standards have impact on organizations already certified.

If the new standard comes out around next summer (northern hemisphere) then anyone's ability to apply it or to audit it will be a while after that anyway.

If you look on the really bright side, you may already be conforming to everything they put in. Standards, after all, only specify minimum requirements for a management system.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:46 am

Tony,

found it. There is a group "ISO20000" on LinkedIn. There is a discussion there "ISO 20000:2010 - Draft Release" that more or less covers your question.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
SwissTony
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:26 am

Great! Thanks for the info Diarmid :D I'll check out that group.

As you say chances are any new requirements may already be in place....this relates to the point I've been pushing here, that although the certification is a good benchmark, and a nice marketing tool for Infrastructure, the reality is that operations has to be priority. Unfortunately, we have many process owners whose view point is far too theoretical. (Moan over)

Off to LinkedIn
SwissTony
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:55 am

Diarmid...which group is it in?...I've searched through the 'ITIL, ITSM & ISO20000,' & the 'ISO20000 & ITIL' but found nothing?
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Just plain ISO20000. The key bit of the url is the groupid 60495, assuming that is not user specific.
William Penn 1644-1718
SwissTony
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:23 am

Found it...Thanks :)