ITIL category

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
cb122

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:22 am

Can I ask which category/discipline of ITIL covers system configuration? I.e. if all my file servers need to be configured to XYZ standard, whcih part of ITIL covers this (and the monitoring for compliance/non compliance to this standard)? I am trying to establish this but am new to ITIL so any assistance most welcome.

prasunc
Itiler
Itiler

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:44 am

Dear cb122,

You have asked a simple question with a vast scope for answering and I could go on and on about this. Will try to keep it simple though :D

Your scenario here is primarily dealing with Service Asset & configuration management.

An important thing to note is that SACM is totally useless if you do not have a good Change management in place or if you do not have a well controlled CMDB.

If you are trying to establish this as a process,you need to keep the following in mind:

1.) Planning:

Define the scope first. Which CIs will be covered under this. What should be the baseline config etc. High Level identification of roles such as the Process Owner / Process Manager can also be a part of the initial SACM planning activities.

One of the keys to a successful SACM implementation is to manage the scope very carefully.

2.) SACM Process:

Integration with the Change managment process will come into the picture here. If you cannot control the configuration of your file servers through a proper CM process then you might as well give up now.

3.) Monitorining & Reporting Process:

You should have a well defined process to monitor the configurations on your servers. Any deviations should be automatically stored in the CMDB and should be available as MIS data if required.

Hope this broadly covers your requirement. let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Cheers,
Prasun Choudhury