Should a Standard change have a lead time

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
dunky4542

Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:07 am

We have introduced a lead time on our Standard changes as teams were raising and implementing within minutes. We added the lead time to give some control and to give the teams that are implementing the change time to review and plan. However I am not sure this is correct and wanted to know if anyone else had a lead time on their Standard Changes and how long is acceptable?

Chander

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:08 am

As you correctly mention lead time required to verify implementation plan and business impact.

Let say If we don't have a lead time:-
- Requester and approver need time to complete and verify Prequirsities required to make change succesfull
- If change Object in CAB requester need time to clear rejection
- Lead time avoid adhoc request whcih help you to plan your resources for implementation.
- If we don't have a lead will increase exception changes.

These few points I can think of which justify the reason of Lead time. :lol:
netnidhi

Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:07 am

Sorry for being blunt here. I don't understand why lead times are required for Standard Changes. First, let me tell you the ideal process for a Standard Change. I assume you have a similar one.

A Normal Change is submitted which is discussed in CAB and authorized as a Standard Change --> for the entire period, lets say for 6 months <--. This Standard Change acts as the Master Standard Change. The same activity (ex: maintenance) is carried out periodically by raising child CRs. These child CRs are tagged to the Master Standard Change.

Now, please tell me why these child CRs require approval everytime they are raised? Only the Normal Change (which later become Master Standard Change) need a lead time of Normal Change.

Hope I am clear.