Product Manager and creation of service levels

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
nzmoko
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi all, it's been a while...

New job and new challenges. I thought I would throw this out there. ITIL books are not clear (for me).

Service Strategy talks about some roles, one of which is the Product Manager.

In our company, our Product Managers set and own service levels and collect the revenue. This doesn't seem right to me - my concerns being, they are not impartial and can influence/break operations through their own self governance.

Shouldn't the creation and maintenance of service levels sit in Service Design?

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:57 am

you need to look again at the books

Service Level Management is the process that manages the SLAs etc

Business Relationship Management is the key to gathering the requirements and keeping it
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UpritS
Itiler
Itiler

Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:50 pm

- SLM being a process may be owned by anyone fit for the role.

- There is no mention of Product manager role in any ITIL book.

- One person may play both the roles of Business Relationship manager as well as SLM, though it's not recommended in practice with the reason you already mentioned.
Uprit
------------------------------------------------------------
ITIL Expert, Certified ISO 20000:2011 (SMS) Lead Auditor.
Kranti
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:54 am

Service Strategy speaks about Demand Management ,Service Portfolio Management ,Financial Management and Business Relationship Management

like UKVIKING righlty pointed BRM is responsible to gather information and Service Levels are actually discussed in Service Level Management in Service Design . Service LEvel Management speaks about Design & Plan ,Negotiate and Agree ,Determine & Document and SLA Improvement

BRMs main responsibility is to gather Voice of Provider to Customer and Voice of Customer to Provider

Financial Management is where you talk about Budgeting ,Accounting, Chargeback and Demand Modelling .

If your Organization is not following this then your company is not taking ITIL practices as a benchmark .

Hope this helps . All the very Best !!!
Kranti Kiran Kumar Gedela

Project Manager - SAP

ITIL® Expert
Prince2®
CSM® CSPO® CSP®
PMI® SAP®
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt ®
gongchamp

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:32 pm

Kranti wrote:Service Strategy speaks about Demand Management ,Service Portfolio Management ,Financial Management and Business Relationship Management

like UKVIKING righlty pointed BRM is responsible to gather information and Service Levels are actually discussed in Service Level Management in Service Design . Service LEvel Management speaks about Design & Plan ,Negotiate and Agree ,Determine & Document and SLA Improvement

BRMs main responsibility is to gather Voice of Provider to Customer and Voice of Customer to Provider

Financial Management is where you talk about Budgeting ,Accounting, Chargeback and Demand Modelling .

If your Organization is not following this then your company is not taking ITIL practices as a benchmark .

Hope this helps . All the very Best !!!
As per the subject - constructive feedback ...as oppose to some who reference books and provide nil advice
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:15 am

gongchamp

I see no advice from you on the matter at hand.
The ITIL Books are the source of the information
The ITIL Books divide IT Service Management into 4 stages

nzmoko is mixing processes from the stages - hence the reference to the books - as this may be an underlying cause

Finally, advice is free and may be merely asking the poster to do their due diligence and read or refer to the source

Providing a solution can be considered consulting - which is NOT Free
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter