SL Reporting - which month to report on

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
L1Z

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:02 am

Good day,

I would like to know if there is a rule on which date to use to report on - i.e. we have Monthly SL reports (for the last 3 months) for various priorities and for each priority we report on number of tickets for the month, % tickets in SLA as well as what the MTTR is and what the Max TTR is.

We usually use the ticket start date to depict which month the ticket is reported in, but the reporting tool we changed to uses the ticket close date to indicate the month the ticket will be reported in. We would like to know if there is any rule in ITIL that states which date to report on as a ticket could be created in March and closed in April - should that ticket be reported on in March or in April when looking at what we report on above.

Also if we should use the ticket create month to report on - what is the correct way to handle tickets not closed in the create month? Do we provide the information as it stands at the time of running of the report for those tickets or do we exclude those tickets not yet closed.

In other words do we count the number of tickets created in that month, count the number of tickets created and closed in that month and only report on the % in SLA and MTTR time and Max TTR time for the ones created and closed in that month - or do we count the number of tickets created in the month, use the current in and out of SLA counts to report % in SLA and the MTTR time and Max TTR time?

We used to use the latter method of reporting but would like to report using ITIL standards.

I tried searching for the answer on the internet but was unable to find exactly what I am looking for so your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:19 pm

Liz,

it does really matter and there is no real standard

However, you should be constant.
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
L1Z

Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:06 am

Thank you so much!
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Liz,

which ever method you use - it must make sense, it must have a start / end and it must be repeatable

Doing it by month ticket raised is the most commonly used as it makes sense
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
L1Z

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:45 am

Thank you so much for your assistance on this!
GabrielAnderson

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:47 am

Totally agree with this opinion,i think this will helpful to get more interesting