What % Of Incidents Should Be Related to Problem?

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
keith9to5

Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:58 pm

I've never seen this as KPI, or what industry standards might be, but it seems like it is a key identifier to the success of the relationship between Problem and Incident.

Basically, based on reactive Problem Management, the creation of a Problem is usually driven by an Incident or an Incident trend. As a result, a certain percentage (and you would think it would be relatively high) of Incidents should be related to Problem.

Is this something that others are measuring? If so, what is the baseline?

I would like to be able to say "We should have X% of all Incidents related to Problem" in order to determine that our Incidents are being correctly related and Problem investigations are being executed.

tedderpd
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:00 am

I would submit that reactive Problem Management success would be measured in a couple of ways:
1.) An on-going, downward trend in the volume of incidents over time
2.) Elimination of a recurring incident (measured in terms of however you determined that you had a recurring incident to begin with!).

Success is not about associating Incidents to Problems per se, but the impact (or lack of impact) that Problem Management is having on Incidents. Keep in mind that some Incidents may never be associated with a Problem record...and that may very well be okay.
gauripuri

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:26 am

Good information.