Change Initiator

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues
mkandy
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:22 am

Hi all,

I'm getting stuck on an issue with engagement of Change Management. I work for an outsource company who also do a lot of hosting, with technical teams that support the environments.

Our customers are raising changes directly into our Change Management tool to the best of their ability, however they cannot detail the resource required to implement it, nor their availability, as such our Change Management team rejects the changes as not having enough information.

After speaking to the Change Managers, they have told me that they're not a technical resource, so cannot stipulate that a particular Change requires Unix/Wintel/DBA/whatever involvement, and that the onus is on the initiator to raise the change with all the details. However, as mentioned, we're an outsource company so the technical teams do not have that sort of relationship with the customer. The customer cannot pick up the phone and talk directly to our technical guys.

Anyway, the result is, they've put in a very complicated process that essentially goes through Request Management systems, sends tasks to a Project Management Office to scope out the requirements, provide a quote and timescales, which, if approved, result in the writing and eventual implementation of a Change Request....

I'm of the view that actually, our Change Service should be technically aware and be helping our customers raise Change Requests...am I asking to much?!

Please help!

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:42 am

There is obviously a massive hole in your change management process.

When a customer submits a change request, they quite reasonably do so in the terms in which they use the service. The first task of change management is to translate this into its technical requirements and implications. what would be the point of a company having outsourced to you if they still had to keep a detailed knowledge of the technical side of the service? They would need to keep all their technical staff!

I see one of two situations;

1. your change managers have not been trained for the job they are required to do and procedures have not been developed to meet the requirement.

or

2. you have failed to set up an intermediate facility to identify the technical etc.s of customer change requests before passing the request to your change managers.

If outsourcing companies are so rubbish that they do not understand this from the start why do people still use them? And why can I not get a job?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
mkandy
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:54 am

It's certainly something they used to do, however people take over a service and change things, not always for the betterment of the business as displayed here.

I'm essentially arguing that Change Management should absolutely be owning this piece of work, but want to make sure I'm not talking cobblers.