Small Project Or Big CR

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues
himanshusri

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:19 am

Hi!

In our organization we have well established Change Request management as well as Project management office. We are now trying to come up with concept of smething in between.. ie. a request or collection of requests not qulifying for a project but requires dedicated coordination from a team. Such requests would ideally go thorugh the same CR process but there would be someone from our team ensuring this goes through all the channels smoothly also coordinate with all involved.

Would like comments if someone has already designed processes for such requests ? Also What should I call it ?

Himanshu

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:20 am

In my book any activity not covered by a documented procedure has to be a project. This is because it needs to be managed and if there is no documented procedure to manage it then that is exactly what project management is for.

If you have different approaches to different types of projects, whether it is because of the costs, risks, duration, or because it requires significant work from more than one dept. or from external suppliers, or for any other reason, then you can give your project types different names (e.g. "small", "medium", "large")
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
himanshusri

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:07 am

I did a lot of thinking came up with different names like Work Requests etc.... but Yes I agree it is more about handling this as different project type instead of coining new terminology...

Thanks...