What is the difference between Change and release mgt

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues
StephentheITILGuru

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:54 am

I want to know, what is the difference between Change and release management.

Different people are giving different fundas, so please help me.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:52 am

Hmm

With a name of the ITIL Guru

Should nt you know this already ?

Seriously, there is a very well defined difference between change and release
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
abu1
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:12 am

you need to study itil you will get the answer..

Release Management starts at the need for an enhancement to IT and continues through design, build, test activities, deployment plans, training plans, etc. Many distinguish between IT Projects and Software projects. I don't since many of the process activities are the same. At the end of this process, you'll have potentially many changes that need to occur to meet the objective of a singular release.
Change Management picks up the ball from Release by assessment of risk and impact for all those individual changes coupled with potentially many other changes from other releases, projects, maintenance activities, facilities work etc. The process ensures all prerequisites are met, no schedules conflict, stakeholders are informed and the appropriate bodies have approved.
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:38 am

abu1 wrote:Release Management starts at the need for an enhancement to IT
No it does not. A need for an enhancement to IT leads to an enhancement specification, design, development and testing, preferably preceded by a change request and approval, but at least at an early stage so that the development activity is not wasted on something that will not be accepted.
abu1 wrote:and continues through design, build, test activities, deployment plans, training plans, etc.
This is misleading. The only development and testing to be performed by release management is the development and testing of the release plan.
abu1 wrote:Change Management picks up the ball from Release by assessment of risk and impact
Managing the release is a step in implementing the change. I.e. it is a step in the change plan.

Not only does change management not pick up the ball from release management, but also the reverse is untrue because change management continues beyond the end of release management as well as starting before it.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718