ITIL Job Opportunities

Forum for job seekers and employers in the ITIL arena.
Buakaw

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi All,

New to the forum.

I have in the UK and looking to start the ITIL course with the hope of making myself more appealing to employeers and gaining entry into a help desk enviroment.

I currently work in Support for a Telecoms and IT support company but it is basic ticket logging & fault diagnostics etc. I do also manage an engineering contract that my company has with BT and got a kenn interets in telecoms / it.

What ITIL level will I need to obtain to gain an interview for a IT support desk company?

Are there many jobs requiring ITIL knowledge in the UK. I am not lazy & had a look but seeking other opinions too.

Thank you.

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:48 am

Buakaw,

many companies specify a requirement for ITIL qualification, many others specify a preference. Many of these, irrespective of the level of the job advertised, only require foundation level qualifications, and this does not offer them much real value. Also, in my experience, many who do this turn out not to have much clue about ITIL themselves.

Just read the job adverts.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
MikkoH
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:42 am

Then again, if you already have experience in working at IT, you should find it revealing to find it all come together when studying ITIL, in my opinion the worth isn't in the theory as much as refining the practice you already do. So by all means do the Foundations, as it will let you talk about things using the common terms.

I wholeheartedly do agree with Diarmid that the 'ITIL' in many companies is 4 letters and that's about it. They probably have documented roles and processes and left it at that...
Most of the companies I've seen, do employ ITSM software though, and those apps are quite strict in the concepts, so definitely learning ITIL won't hurt there either.
jghostle
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:30 pm

I am an APMG certified ITIL instructor with V3 expert with training experience and EXIN ISO/20000 training experience. I am looking for training opportunities and short term conslting opportunities. Just email me at jghostle@gmail.com.