which modules to take if your goal later is Net Security ?

Discussions related to ITIL certification, training and exams.
Marc73

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi everyone. am pretty new here, so please bear with me.

I need some help in relation to the ITIL3 qualification scheme
[Link Removed]

I need to take the ITIL foundation, intermediate and Expert courses in intensive consecutive "bootcamp style" courses preferrably in Ottawa, Canada, ASAP.

Can you recommend any school / institution ?

I need some advice in choosing Capability Stream and Life Cycle courses / modules that should help me later to specialize in Networking Security of the global architecture of a big-sized enterprise, as detailed in the outline of the CompTIA+

[Link Removed]

Any ideas ? Any suggestions ?

[Edited by Admin: no links please]

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:30 am

Marc,

you need some advice on not using urls on this site.

As to which modules to take, I'm afraid I do not know enough about them to comment on individual modules, but I would make some observations about what you have said:

1. If you are "bootcamp style" in your training, then you will be getting much poorer value from it, because ITIL training, beyond foundation, depends, for its value, on good practical understanding of ITSM. You are going to miss the opportunity to assimilate your learning at work between the various components. This will be less true, the more experienced you currently are in ITSM. When I studied ITIL there was no foundation course, but I brought more than ten years experience as a manager in IT service departments (and twenty years working in IT) to the training and was thus able to understand it critically.

2. Since you understand your own objective vis a vis network security, it should be obvious to you what are the major elements of ITSM that will dominate the role and therefore course descriptions should make it easy to select the appropriate modules. If you do not have sufficient understanding, then your grasp of either ITSM or of network security or both is not sufficiently mature for you to be concerned at this stage with such a detailed plan.

3. If your concern is not so much capability, but the prospect of employment in the network security area (although from your post, this does not seem to be the case - still it may help others), then the best approach would be to study job adverts in that field and see what kind of qualifications are being demanded there. This is not necessarily a reliable guide as to the best learning to do, since such organizations may have little understanding of the subject and may just be chucking in some qualification requirements to seem respectable.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:51 am

To add to Diarmid's

1 - each course for ITIL foundation, intermediate and the life cycle are a 5 day course (each one)

2 - the course will cost about roghly the same as the Microsoft courses

3 - these cant be 'boot camped' to be honest. ITIL is not a technical skill set but a process skill and these must be applied after you have learned the guidelines

In my not so humble opinion is that if you want to go into network security you should ignore ITIL - for the most part (beyond foundation), concentrate on ISO27001, and the specific technical certification.
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Marc73

Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:08 am

UKVIKING wrote: concentrate on ISO27001, and the specific technical certification.
thank you a million for this.
Marc73

Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:10 am

Diarmid wrote: 3. If your concern is not so much capability, but the prospect of employment in the network security area (although from your post, this does not seem to be the case - still it may help others), then the best approach would be to study job adverts in that field and see what kind of qualifications are being demanded there. This is not necessarily a reliable guide as to the best learning to do, since such organizations may have little understanding of the subject and may just be chucking in some qualification requirements to seem respectable.
thank you very much for this very kind answer.

I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write such a very detailed answer. I owe you lots.
LizGallacher
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:27 am

UKVIKING wrote:
1 - each course for ITIL foundation, intermediate and the life cycle are a 5 day course (each one)
Not quite true - the Lifecycle are usually 3 days, Capability 4 days and MALC 5 - however you are expected to do about the same again in private study
Liz Gallacher,
ITIL EXPERT
Accredited ITIL and ISO/IEC20000 Trainer and Consultant - Freelance
Marc73

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:07 am

LizGallacher wrote:
UKVIKING wrote:
Not quite true - the Lifecycle are usually 3 days, Capability 4 days and MALC 5 - however you are expected to do about the same again in private study
thank you Liz for your kind feedback.

I think the point of our friend is still valid: you cannot bootcamp ITIL courses....
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:01 am

Marc73 wrote: thank you very much for this very kind answer.

I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write such a very detailed answer. I owe you lots.
Marc,

appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think we all do. We don't always know if our contributions are useful (Sometimes I don't even know if my ramblings make any sense). So it is good to get feedback. Especially positive feedback :lol: .
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:12 am

Marc,

As a final point, ITIL is a tool / skill set that you would use to satisfy your role, just like any other tool. It has its benefits and its drawbacks

If you are going to do network design, setup and not day to day networkign operations. Then ITIL may not be a big help to you.

Project mgmt skills - PRINCE2, PMP, etc may be of better benefit

Same applies for s/w development - CMMi,

If you are doing mgmt or mgmt analysis, 6Sigma etc and other related works may help

To use my favorite phrase--- it depends.

Even with ITIL, ISO20k, ISO27001, CCNA, CCNDA, Security+, Network= etc, you still may not find work.

This could be because there are not jobs with the set of skills and there may be a gult of p[eople with only a few roles.

I would find your self a niche - like I did. I worked in the NOC / SD and ran that for years. I then took ITIL and I found Change, config and release appeals to me. Some find it boring. I thrive on being the grand bastard.

Beyond that, see what the market is looking for and see what you have in skills at the moment that can get you a role and work from there
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter