Change management for Firmware updates

Discusssions, questions and answers relating to the open project: The ITIL Guide
AN999

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:22 am

Can anyone help me with the change management for Firmware updates?Is it carried out in the same way as a normal change process?
Thanks in advance

Corde Wagner
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:32 pm

Greetings,

Generally, desktops/laptops are not included in change management, but servers, networks and other infrastructure would fall under the change management process. I recommend that any modification made to servers, networks and other infrastructure systems be included in the change management process.

How your infrastructure is configured (complete fault tolerance or single server that will create a service outage if rebooted), and given the maturity of your configuration management process, will play a part in how much control is required of the change management process for a firmware update. Either way, yes, I’d ensure the firmware update is run through the change manager.

Ensure your change management process is well documented and that you include what is “in scope” and “not in scope” of change management.
Corde Wagner
ITIL 4 Managing Professional - ITIL v3 Expert - ITILv4 - CASM - VeriSM-Plus