Policy/Standards Document-Template

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
dchell
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:35 am

Anyone know of a template that has policies/standards around incident and problem. It would include the basics such as Users, Support, 3rd Party Provicers, Compliance, Access Control, Maintenance, SLAs etc. Thanks.

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:20 am

Donna,

I could write one for you if I knew a lot about your organization and what its objectives and environment were.

I could write you one without this knowledge, but it is very unlikely it would be better for you than the one you put in your question.

If you know what you want, go ahead and write it. Otherwise work out what you want first.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
dchell
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:56 pm

John, I wasn't asking for you to write one. I needed a template, or guidelines, or checklist of things to consider especially if you are starting from scratch. But it doesn't matter, because a helpful person provided me just that (guidelines, template, etc ).
mammes

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:49 pm

I also would need such templates too. We are also starting from Scratch and the ITIL Processes seems like one I would want to really delve into. Currently, I am looking for Service Desk Templates to assist the desk manage requests that are logged especially with ticket classifications and how to route requests to the right approval process.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:18 pm

The problem with templates provided by some one else
is that you will have to customize it anyway

Take Diarmid's advice write your own
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:51 am

mammes wrote:... starting from Scratch and the ITIL Processes seems like one I would want to really delve into.
At your indicated level of understanding, looking at someone else's templates is positively dangerous. You need to be well beyond the "seems like" a good thing phase to have any discrimination on what you are looking at. Because ITIL is not a coherent set of rules (many, including OGC call it a framework, but I think even that is exaggeration), practical templates cannot not be derived directly from ITIL alone.

Further, an [academic] understanding of ITIL without a proper [experiential] understanding of ITSM and without a [detailed] understanding of your IT services organization and its purpose, will not provide the capability to identify or design useful templates.

Other organizations' templates are not a viable substitute for a consultant in an organization that lacks the in-house knowledge and experience; they lack the learning value of struggling with your own efforts when you are a bit more advanced; and they are a waste of time if you really know what you are doing.

My advice remains to work out what you want to do and build the templates that will help you to do it.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
mammes

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:59 am

Thanks Diarmid for your advice, Much appreciated. In actual fact, I am in the telecom industry and ITIL has now been newly introduced in the company so it hasn't really been an easy task trying to get ITILZED. It sure is a framework and definitely not prescriptive. We are at the phase of defining our processes on the basis of this framework and hence a lot documentations. I do a lot of "On the Job Learning" to enrich my knowledge base in ITIL and its pretty good so far. The only constraint now is that our requirements keeps changing but am sure we should be able to build a work around for that in due time.
A document from other company is definitely not the best approach but I believe can be a lead to building that for my company. It must not necessarily be a document per say but a format to assist us of which we would have to tailor to meet our requirements.

Thanks again.