Methodology For Incident Backlog

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
tmack
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Looking for any advice or systems that have worked for anyone in effectively tackling a large incident backlog. Some changes occurred recently that generated a significant amount of non-phone initiated incidents so they are just sitting there ticking away... I'm going to assign a dedicated team to them obviously reacting first to those that have breached (and furthest from) service level targets.

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:14 am

tmack wrote:I'm going to assign a dedicated team to them obviously reacting first to those that have breached (and furthest from) service level targets.
It might be better, and your customer(s) might be happier, if you deal with the ones with greatest impact and risk to your customers first, rather than trying to protect your stats.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Timo
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:25 am

I think the first order of business is to hire and ITIL consultant :twisted:

But, like Diarmid, said, if resource augmentation is out of the question, tackle issues of highest importance. If possible, you can make it a primary task of selected (unlucky) few to clear the backlog. In my less fortunate days as a software developer, i used to work on issues dating back few years. It was fun contacting the customer with "Say, remember that problem you have 3 years ago. Well, i fixed it, so i want you to go and do a couple of tests on the system you no longer use to validate the resolution." I do have a point here - you may discover that some items in your backlog are not worth addressing.