Additional support tasks from another support group

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
rdcimafranca

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Dear All,

Would want your opinion on the matter below to help me broaden understanding on the problem, as there might be other points of views that might be added.

Our HD handles level 1 support for Infrastructure, desktop and other general software requests. All application support related to the custom application portal (sharepoint portal) are escalated automatically to the app support group as they are the one assigned to the group.

Now, they want to pass a single task to us, creation of access ID's for users. but we will only be allowed to make access IDs for specific departments as some departments need permission configuration for diff resources related to that access ID.

my concern, is this advisable? is this standard? for them to pass a task to the HD like that?

1. Wouldn't that be difficult for our group as it is an extra step that they should be doing as they own all of the process for the application? If something were to happen, that will be additional problems for us (though that can be addressed with the proper and complete KT). still, you are only just adding another step in their process, including us on a separate step when they can handle and catch everything with their current set up.
2. I am still unable to perform a check on capacity planning for the effects of this new task to our load as I have yet to perform one (we are fairly new, and not that mature as of the moment). so I have no proof that this will have direct effect on our SLA.

What else could be considered? thank you in advanced for your help. As this might just be a case of them passing one task without proper justification.

Regards,
RD

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:38 am

rdcimafranca

Why do you think this -

my concern, is this advisable? is this standard? for them to pass a task to the HD like that?

ITIL is not a standard. It is guidance.

If your Helpdesk can do the work and get a reasonable description of the SLAs etc, then it is up to the HD manager to sign off on it

Beyond that, shrug
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter