Industry Standard for Email Response Time (EHT)?

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
boronas

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Hello fellow ITIL-ers. I have been reading through the forum looking for something specific around Email Response Time. I have heard that the Industry Standard is 95% of emails responded within 90 minutes, but nothing to validate this. Can anyone validate this or provide your insight? Thank you in advance for your help and insight into this.

Sergio V

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:08 am

Boronas

Where did this come from ?

Why do you think there is an Email Response Time standard ?

Can you provide a source for this concept
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
boronas

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:12 am

Hello John, right now I am very perplexed. I have searched and find nothing to confirm there is an industry standard on Email Response Time. I have found 4 hours is about right, but I have a client pushing this to me as a KPI saying this is "Industry standard", but I manage other desks and no other client of mine has this requirement/expectation.

My intention here was to put out the question to the forum to see if anyone had any insight on this or could give me an idea of what are the latest trends on how Email Handling Time or Email Response Time is being handled in other Service Desks. The client is asking us to answer 95% of all emails in 90 minutes or less and I want to be able to "fight back" as I consider this request unreasonable and not possible with how my desk is staffed. Thanks for your insight and help you can provide.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:31 am

Boronas

I see know whyyou are asking

You are suffering for Iwanna syndrome from a customer

I understand

here is the way that I handled it when i ran a SD team

We had a rule that we would respond to an email w/15 minutes.

The response would be an acknowledgement of the email

Since the email address we gave them feed into our IM tool, it would auto generate a new ticket

The ticket would sit in a draft queue - awaiting action

One of the team would accept / process the draft queue - sticking the ticket in our SD queue for review, actioning etc based on priority, severity etc

The tool emailed the customer and stated

Your email of.. blah .. has been received on dtg
The ticket has been picked up by the Service Desk as of dtg

... you know the rest...

Therefore, the requirement to respond to an email has been met

One of the other things is that for critical issues, they need to call us for S1 P1 issues

I wager he is using some sort of Gartner or HDI agitprop that has help desk data such as average response time to emails
which is as useful as
number of coffee cup used

Another thing

Answering an email is one thing
resolving the content of the email is another
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
boronas

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:02 pm

John, your answer has been VERY helpful and you describe my situation very well. Thank you. :D