ITIL - ITSM Implementation

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
Awais

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Can anyone tell me whats the standard architecture of an ITSM based solution? is it a desktop application that interacts with the Service Management System or is it a web-based application or portal?

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:31 am

Your question does not make sense.

What do you think ITSM is?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Awais

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:31 pm

I know its a set of best practices for IT service Management but since there have been a lot of work on implementing the said work based on the ITSM standards, so i was wondering if there's some specific literature or guidelines for implementation of such systems that work on the suggested framework.
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:50 am

ITSM is an acronym for IT service management.

ITIL is a set of guidance as to ITSM best practice. This is not capable of being implemented, but of helping in the design of an ITSM management system.

ISO20000 is the "ITSM standard".

Since all this is about quality management systems, it does not have an IT architecture. There are computer based "tools" that can aid in aspects of the QMS and it is normal in an organization of any size and complexity to use such tools. But the only good way to choose the right tools is to define what you need first.

I still cannot understand what you mean by "an ITSM based solution". If you mean "an ITIL based solution for service management", then I don't believe in that. Your service management systyem (solution?) needs to be based on the service requirements of your customer(s).
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Awais

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:08 am

got it thanks