Ticket for Service Request

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
nicoart

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:19 am

Hi all,

I am really a beginner in ITIL. My company is using ServiceDesk for our Help Desk. We received several same requests for refreshing database for the same application from live instance to test instance. Usually we recorded the request under Incident > Service Request. The question is, can we just keep open the same Service Request because we know that the request will be coming again in the future or every time we will open (and close) a new Service Request ticket when we receive the request? What is the best practice?

Thanks a bunch for your opinions.

Thanks and Regards,
Nico.A.

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:51 pm

I would have thought that a service request was an instance. How can you keep an instance open? It will have requestor name date time and other details unique to it, surely?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
nicoart

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi Diarmid,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I agree with you. The key here is (as you said), it has details unique to it, so better to create a ticket per request.

Thank you.