Common Service Desk metrics values

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
Michal

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:57 am

Hi,
I was unable to find any solid data on the Internet. I'm interested in these common metrics and specially their values (with distinction of high, medium and low priority):

Incident: Average initial Response Time
Incident: Average resolution Time
Change request: Averate initial response time
Service: Average availability (uptime)

What are your real live experiences or can you direct me to some benchmarks? I was unable to find any.

Thank you

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 am

There are no general benchmarks for these kind of figures for the simple reasons that very few organizations are sufficiently similar and that is before you take the non-comparability of the meaning of the priority codes into account.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
KenLuo
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:22 pm

No such data could be found on Internet, I tried before.

In general, i believe you need these data, because someone now asked you to tell whether we were doing good or not, right? Or to evaluate how many people we still need to hire to fix the gaps.

I think you need to review your history data and generate the report of your own organization.
And then share with others and get their expectation on what should be achieved.
Luo, Tian-Hong (Ken)
Regional Operation Lead

ITIL Expert Certified