How many SDA's do I need??

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
BoxofFrogs

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:54 am

Hey - there may be a string already - so please excuse me..

but I need to convince my boss that we need more Service Desk Analysts - for some reason - I think I have read it somewhere the industry metric may be 240 incidents per SDA a month... but as sad as it sounds I may well have dreamt that

we are currently averaging 1804 incidents per month and I am saying we need 7 SDA's - which would get it down to 257 per month - 8 would be good - but I am not going to push it..

does any one have or know similar metrics for incidents per SDA?

Ta

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:09 am

You need to have sufficient staff in a Service Desk in order to meet not only the workload requirements but the following

legal requirement
labour law requirements
service hours - M-F only, 24x7, 16x5, 16x7, 24x5

The number of tickets per period is misleading.

It depends on the types of Incident tickets and what work is done by the SD team and what work is done by technical non SD teams
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
BoxofFrogs

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:32 am

exactly - and we are far from a log and flog desk - however my manager has this figure from somewhere and I need to prove that we need more staff..

so I will continue with my business case until I get the right number (or all the SDA's go off sick with exhaustion :? ) - and that will also prove my point....
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:04 pm

How about calculating how much time your team spends on tickets

If you have relatedly good ticket system and the team updates as they work, you should be able to track how much time they spend on tickets - time, the volume, etc
John Hardesty

BoxofFrogs

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:08 am

yeah - thought of that - but unfortunately the ticket system is not the best!! if anything it hinders the teams (desk and technical)... so I can only rough guess / average the amount of time..

thanks for your comments thus far..
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:17 am

Can you track - roughly - how much time a ticket is being worked on by a member of th SD

If your SD is more than l&F, then you are fulfilling two roles

Service Desk and Incident Mgmt 1st or 2nd line resolution team

If that is the case, then the PHB (pointy headed bosss) needs to fund a IM resolution team to replace the work load that your team is doing (evil grin)
John Hardesty