Should a priority 1 incident be documented after the fact?

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
scottatah

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:44 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forums and had to slightly guess on where best to post this question. Hopefully this is the right spot.

On Monday, a user created a priority 1 incident for an outage that our service provider informed us had occurred over the weekend. The cause of the service providers outage is not known at this time. As part of the Priority 1 incident process, an email was sent to many important folk notifying them of this incident. To the benefit of the creator of the incident, they did document that it was soley for documentation purposes and not current incident.

Now I have a lot of questions I'm struggling to answer:
- Since this wasn't an incident by the time we returned to work, should it have been logged as an incident?
- If we are interested in the root cause (and since it's the service providers outage, i'm not sure we are), shouldn't this have been created as a problem?
- What about for metric purposes, if this happened during the business day, it would have surely had many incidents and a problem tie'n them all together. Given that we're just doing this after the fact, should that incident still be logged despite no end-users having contacted the service desk about the issue?

Thanks in advance!

MadhavaVermaDantuluri
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:42 am

No, as this was due to the weekend outage and because there may be not a proper communication did not sent out. So still for the records, we can create a P2 incident and document the original weekend change number, root cause and close it.
~ Share the knowledge
Madhava Verma Dantuluri