Change password

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
ezequiel.kich

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Hello!!!

The user open a ticket on ServiceDesk informing that a him forgot a password, and request a password change

To user, is a impact because the login on network is innoperant.
But the user know that he forgot password

This is a incident ou service request?

tedderpd
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:14 am

Yes. Or yes. It is whatever you define it to be. :-)

In most organizations, this is defined as a service request, because it is highly likely that users will forget passwords, and it is usually a simple operation that can be pre-defined (even automated?) for resetting a password. While it is a interruption to normal service per se, it is an interruption only to a single user. The target system is still available and running in an operational state.

However, there may be a reason to define this as an incident. For example, if a network administrator cannot log-in to a network device in a secured environment/DMZ. Has the security/integrity of the device been compromised? Or is it a case of the administrator simply forgetting the password?

Personally, I'd always treat these as service requests until I had a good business reason not to.
Corde Wagner
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:30 pm

I agree with Ted that a password resets can be recorded as either an incident or request, but the rational for either should be clearly documented to reduce confusion. From my point of view, I would always treat requests to reset a password as service requests.
Corde Wagner
ITIL v3 Expert - ITILv4 - CASM - VeriSM-Plus
lcaputo
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:57 am

To me this is a no-brainer-->SR all life long. :D