Looking for a SLA calculation toolkit

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
martinm

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:12 am

Hello *,

I'm looking for a SLA calculation toolkit.

Main input parameters should be:
- SLA-parameters like
- Reaction time, workaround time, etc. (different for each priority)
- SLA-compliance requirements (eg. 95%, again different for each priority)
- Incoming tickets over time (again different for each priority) - if possible explicit and different values for the next months but an average value would also be ok
- Average effort to solve the ticket (again different for each priority)
- Number of employees working on the tickets.

The goal is to get an idea whether I will be able to fulfill the SLA with a given number of employees, what happens if I lower or raise the amount of employees and to see, what the probable SLA-compliance level would be like, ect.

It would be good to be able to play with "what-if cenarios" (raising the ticket-income by 25% eg, etc.).

I have not found anything usable for creating such forecasts (besides setting it up myself in Excel etc.) - I only found tools for monitoring (which I do not need now). Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,
Martin

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:36 am

Martin,

I doubt very much if there is anything out there that does this except as part of one of the sophisticated ITSM suites.

Really what you are looking for is capacity and performance management software. This certainly exists but it is more tuned to measuring machines than people.

I'm not sure how useful average effort to resolve is unless you do proper statistical analysis of the variance and break down the incidents into the characteristics that affect the amount of effort required. I guarantee that the effort to resolve something has absolutely nothing to do with the priority - installing a patch takes the same amount of effort regardless of priority, as does building a server or securing and restarting a service.

Number of employees working on the ticket is irrelevant if you are already measuring effort, but breaking down the effort by skills required etc. would be very relevant.

If you rely entirely on averaged historical data at such high levels, you will have little benefit in predicting how a changed service or changed service environment will behave.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718